Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Challenge of the Week: LOVE Yourself

Thanks to "Lyn of Escape from Obesity," for the following challenge of the week, the first that I am posting.  This was originally posted Nov 24, 2008:

This week's habit is: Love Yourself.


What? What's that got to do with weight loss, or fitness, or health?? Let me tell you... it has EVERYTHING to do with all three. After all, if you hated yourself, you wouldn't bother with any of this. Would you?

Self-love and self-care go hand in hand. The connection between loving (the emotion) and caring (the action) is undeniable. Think about a baby. If a person has a little child that they LOVE, will they let that child go hungry, crying for hours to be fed? If they love the child, will they let them sit in dirty diapers until their skin is raw and sore? Will they neglect them or abuse them? No, not if there is love. Where there is love, there is care, even when it is unpleasant. Changing a poopy diaper is no prance through a rose garden. But you do it because you love the child. You feed them, wash them, keep them warm, and clothe them because you LOVE them and want them to be well. Beyond that, you provide emotional comfort and support. All because of love.

When you love yourself, will you let yourself go hungry for hours, your soul crying to be fed? Will you sit in dirty pajamas for days, not bothering to shower? Will you neglect yourself by not providing for your needs, or by abusing yourself with food? No, not if there is love. Where there is love, there is care, even when it is unpleasant. Preparing healthy foods and exercising is no frollic in a meadow. But you do it because you love yourself. You feed yourself nourishing foods, care for your body, and exercise because you LOVE yourself and want yourself to be well. Beyond that, you comfort yourself emotionally when you need it. All because of love.

How many times do we hear someone say, "Ewww, I HATE my legs!" I know I'm guilty. It's hard sometimes to love those giant, pale, dimply tree trunks that stick out enormously from my shorts and scare little children away. But those are the legs that have carried me through life. They ran and played through my childhood, they carried me through college. They carried all five of my children safely before they were born, and afterwards, they rocked and paced and swayed while I soothed my infants in my arms. Those legs got me through college, and they biked me out of morbid obesity. They may be damaged, they may be painful, but they're MY LEGS, and I sure wouldn't want to be without them!

Instead of looking at your various body parts and labeling them as disgusting, gross, or repulsive, try and see them for the blessing that they are. They are part of YOU, and when you feel negativity towards yourself, it comes out in other ways... like binge eating. Instead, try loving your body. Think positive thoughts about yourself, flaws and all. Thank your body for carrying you through life thus far. Give your body the gentle touch it craves. What was the last time you gave your body a loving touch? Your skin longs for it. Take some time and care for yourself in whatever ways appeal to you. For me, I take extra time to apply a nice lotion after a shower. I like to soak in the tub and enjoy the warmth and quiet. Maybe your feet would enjoy a pedicure, or your hands a manicure. Or even just a nice moisturizing treatment. Only you know what will make your body happy. Take time this week and do those things.

Part of the challenge is mental, too. Have you ever looked in the mirror, looked into your eyes and said, "I love you"? Try it. Really. You may be surprised at the emotions that come forth. You do deserve to be loved. You really do.

Make time for yourself this week. For your healthy habit, set aside a small block of time each day just to care for YOU, whatever that may mean. It may be taking a half hour in the morning to sit and sip tea and read a book, or maybe it's doing a facial care routine each night that makes you feel cared for. It could be taking time to call and talk with a friend, or to pursue a hobby you enjoy. Try and take a bigger block of time on the weekend... or some other day during the week... just to do something you love. And if you believe you may be suffering from depression, perhaps the kindest thing you can do for yourself this week is to seek help. See your doctor, find a counselor. Sometimes, we just can't do it alone.

When you love yourself, the self-care follows... and it flows over into other aspects of life, like healthy eating and exercising. Tell yourself something good about YOU every day. And believe it. You are worth saving.

Here is the link to the post, in case you want to check out her blog...I recommend you do!
 http://escapefromobesity.blogspot.com/2008/11/habit-week-challenge-week-8-love.html

3 comments:

  1. I love her blog too! Kelly thanks so much for following me. The support has been much appreciated and I love the company :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree! If I hate my BEFORE self to motivate me NOW, that really doesn't guarantee I'll be happy AFTER. It just means I might start eating again to get over the anger and hatred I have for myself. It doesn't just disappear!

    ReplyDelete