Tuesday, October 12, 2010

EXPOSED again

 
As I mentioned yesterday, Mish over at Eating Journey, posted the most amazing entry back in October of 2009. She exposed herself, writing "I decided that I wanted to do something for myself, that shows who I really am. I can/could write all of the things which I hate about my body: wish I was stretch mark free, didn’t muffin-top, had a six pack. However, I have this body..in the stage that it’s in. I have to love it, accept it for what it is…and look forward to its positive changes”.
I exposed myself in March of this year, and was invited by Mish to do it again today in honor of her EXPOSED anniversary. Thanks Mish for inspiring a wonderful movement! Here’s the answers you asked for….

-Reflect upon and changes from what you wrote when you did and now.

I wrote the initial post 9 Mar 2010. At that point, I had just lost 30 lbs, and was feeling great. But I still saw all the little things in the mirror that I was afraid of, failure, not being around for my kids, back fat, muffin top, you get the drift. I had a plan and felt good about how I was going to get in shape, make myself over, and check things off of my bucket list, but it seemed like I had a long way to go to where I wanted to be.

-How has 'exposing' yourself impacted you?
When I post my picture the first time, it wasn’t the first time I put myself on my blog in a bikini, but it was the first time I actually thought about and wrote down all of the amazing things my body has done for me. Instead of berating it, or feeling bad about it, I reflected on all the things I took for granted; how I can walk and talk and breathe without thinking about it, how I was able to carry two children to term, about all of the things I’ve challenged my body to do, and it has complied, without much complaint. What an amazing body I have.
Since the first picture, I have lost an additional 20 lbs, and my thoughts and inner commentaries are a little gentler. I like looking in the mirror now, and I love that I can fit in size 4 and 6 clothing. I have worked out all summer, and my body is strong, and I have muscles, and not as many fat rolls. I feel good, and that is reflected in how I see myself in the mirror. But no matter what, I still occasionally berate myself with my thoughts. Think about how I’m not good enough, about how my body isn’t svelte enough, how I don’t work out enough, or I’m not fast enough when I’m racing or training.
Being EXPOSED again reminds me to give credit to all of the amazing things my body can do, all the amazing things I can do, and have done, and to stop looking at what I think are flaws in my psyche or body, knowing instead that they are actually just thoughts in my head, thoughts that can be changed. I am a strong, confident, beautiful woman, and I can do and be anything I want.

www.eatingjourney.com/exposed

And again, I ask, what do you appreciate about your body?

7 comments:

  1. One of my favorite parts of participating in the Exposed anniversary has been rediscovering everybody else's posts. I'm tired of talking about myself for Pete's sake. Fantastic piece!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok this is going to take me a bit but I think I will be taking some exposing photos and maybe even my face because I am again inspired by you and others too. Just go watch my blog a bit I have to find the right suit to do it in cause belive me I am freaking shy on this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love love love this post Kelly - thank you so much for sharing! I will have to think on ,ine beofre I post anything like it. The bikini pics are no problem since I have already done that, but what you are glad about - thats even more exposed :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a great reflection. I think that is shows not only your physical transformation, but your mental one as well..which is JUST as important. Thank you for being part of this movement then and now, I just really enjoyed your reflection!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really related to this, as a triathlete...I've always known my body was strong, but never acknowledged it -- even to myself -- until Exposed.

    Thanks for the reflections!

    Katy
    http://katywidrick.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an incredible tribute to your body and to your soul! I love this, Kelly. Thanks for exposing yourself. It has made me stop and contemplate all the beautiful things my body and I have accomplished as well. I'll need to continue to ponder this for awhile. Thanks so much again!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a transformation Kelly! Inside AND out! You ARE a remarkable woman, for what you are becoming, and how you are learning to fall in love with your body. That is a HUGE accomplishment. So many of us struggle with loving ourselves and our bodies. You have set quite an example with this post-- Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete